Summer is here and whilst many companies temporarily allow a relaxation in their dress codes during the warmer months, at Goldfish.ie we’ve decide to permanently adopted a casual dress code. Our CEO Gordon has wholeheartedly taken this approach on board by even getting rid of all his suits and ties. Yes, all of them. They’ve all been donated to St. Vincent de Paul.
Gordon doesn’t need his suits and ties anymore as Goldfish.ie is not a ‘suited and booted’ company. So they were just taking up much-need wardrobe space. During the hot spell Ireland has been having Gordon has even been wearing shorts to the office, as have many of his staff. We’ve even a hashtag on Twitter #shortswatch monitoring this bare-legged approach.
Gordon O’Neill says: “Being a modern company is not just about having modern products or services, you also need to have modern working practices. Too often Ireland is seen as being behind the times or slow to catch up – this needs to change. At Goldfish.ie we have a very relaxed approach to our dress code, so my suits were just gathering dust and taking up space. I’ve sacked my suits, so I’m asking companies to join our campaign and sack their suits too. It will help them modernise and in doing so will also benefit a good cause.”
We are now asking all out customers to sack their suits too. We’ve already modernised their telecoms and now it is time to modernise their dress codes. For any company that wants to take part we’ll send them some St Vincent de Paul sacks to fill.
There is a wider case though, as relaxed dress code can boost productivity and aid staff-retention. Here is a bit more of our thinking:
5 Reasons To Sack The Suit
1. It’s 2016 stop dressing like a gangster from the 1920s.
2. It’s the summer, no one should be subjected to wearing a suit and tie. Formal attire is hot to work in and can be uncomfortable, which leads to a drop in productivity.
3. It makes good business sense: suits and ties strangle creative thinking and harm business development. To be creative you need to be relaxed and you can’t do that dressed as a stiff. There is a reason creative companies have relaxed working practices.
4. It’s also good for recruitment: staff like to be in companies where they are treated like adults, instead of made to dress like school kids; you’ll find it easier to recruit good staff if you have a modern working environment.
5. The cost: formal attire is expensive and wears out quickly. Your staff will appreciate you for not making them buy expensive clothes that they only wear for work, weddings and funerals.
How can companies join Sack The Suit?
We are in the process of agree a charity as a partner on the campaign, but until then they can just give us a call on 016876996 and we will get some sacks sent out to them.